Tuesday, August 28, 2012

McCall

Have you ever seen the most beautiful place in the world? Did you know I used to live there? I remember feeling such mixed emotions when I found out my family would be moving to a small mountain resort town in Idaho for my Senior year of high school. I was angry to be leaving all the good things I had going on in Utah (family, friends, cheer, choir, school, college plans, coaching...) I had the opportunity to stay in Pleasant Grove my Senior year. I seriously considered it, but when I prayed I felt like I needed to go to McCall with my family. At the time I had NO IDEA how that little decision would change my life in such a drastically good way. 

I learned lessons in this beautiful place that I don't think I would have ever learned elsewhere. I learned about myself... What makes me truly happy. My testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ was strengthened. Through personal experiences I learned for myself that different principles of the gospel were true (faith, prayer, testimony, missionary work... just to name a few.) I got to spend a year of my life in this amazing place created by our Heavenly Father. I made some amazing friends that taught me about charity and friendship. Everyone that I got to know in this beautiful town has made an impact in my life. The reason we went back to this place for the first time in about four years was to surprise one of the most amazing women I have ever known. She was my seminary teacher for one year... One year of seeing her beautiful face and hearing her beautiful testimony every morning before school. One year of life stories. One year of learning about the most amazing book I have ever read. One year of going to her house late at night and exchanging folding laundry for some deep conversations about life and love and happiness. One year... 

She changed my life.

Due to some great sneakiness from Jeff & her husband Joe, Amy was truly surprised to see some of her former seminary children together again to bid her farewell. They will be moving to another state and starting a new adventure with their family and I have no doubt influencing others with their amazing examples as well.
 

It was kind of reminiscent of the good ol' days because we just got to hang out together and chat (and eat some really yummy food!)




Miss Holly quite literally just got home from her LDS mission to Cape Verde, AFRICA!

Clara thoroughly enjoyed herself as well, and I enjoyed that she was making sand castles out of sand, and not out of baby formula. :)



I can never hear enough of Amy. I remember thinking that seminary class was far too short, and there was also one day I remember her speaking in sacrament meeting. The speaker before her took up much of the hour and she was only given ten or fifteen minutes to speak. I remember feeling disappointed that I wouldn't get to hear her speak longer!

Sorry Joe... Caught him mid-yawn!...



Laura and Dennis spent much of the time chasing toddlers around the beach...


I love this picture of Clara. I could have taken pictures of her all day here!


She loves rocks. And dirt. And water. And mud (naturally).


I thought Dennis was very brave to give Clara a shoulder ride when she's just wearing a swim diaper...



The seminary kids.

Here's the seminary kids and our families, minus Joe who was taking the picture. I can't even begin to tell you all the crazy weird connections we all have, but I have no doubt that we are all exactly where we're supposed to be. I loved seeing everyone look so happy! 

P.S. I look so short in these pictures, and Dennis actually looks average height, but we were standing downhill... Just thought I had to explain that. ;-)

After saying our tearful goodbyes we checked into our hotel, got the lake water & sand washed off of us, Dennis took a much needed nap, and then went out to eat my birthday Dinner. This was a pretty sight to see below...


But this view from our table was even better than delicious tamales smothered in enchilada sauce & cheese...

Yeah, I pretty much lived in a postcard for my senior year of high school. Even the winters (as endless and snowy as they were) were beautiful. I remember days when the sun would come up on freshly fallen snow, walking outside to the quiet stillness that was the forest in my back yard, and the whole world would glisten... Pure and absolute perfect peace.

After dinner we walked out to the fish nets on the dock and went back to our hotel. The next morning we caught sacrament meeting in the morning before we left for the long drive home. We listened to Holly give her homecoming talk about her experiences in Cape Verde. I think I could have listened to her talk about her mission forever too. I love that girl and miss her so much!

I had a wonderful birthday weekend! I loved bringing my family to the place that left such an imprint on my heart. All Saturday I could hardly catch my breath remembering all the good times I had in that small mountain town. Life is so good. It is just sooo good.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a perfect birthday! I love hearing about that part of your life!!

    ReplyDelete