What a fantastic weekend it's been! I survived speaking in sacrament meeting on Sunday. I love our little branch. They were all so supportive of me, especially after my last talk (I passed out at the pulpit... yeah...) and I made it through the whole thing on my feet! I even think I did an okay job with my Spanish accent, at least that's what I've been told, but maybe they were just being nice. Jajaja (That's how you say hahaha in Spanish ;) My topic was on fathers & the priesthood. I told a story about my dad being supportive of me and coaching my soccer teams throughout the years. Then I told a story about how he got a yellow card once... I knew our branch would appreciate that! We have quite a few serious "futbol" fans.
Then, today was my first day volunteering at the Refugee Summer School. I absolutely loved it! This school was organized for kids that have just arrived in the US, and haven't had the chance to go to school yet. Some of them have only been here for a week. It'll be good for them to get a bit of a head start and have a chance to socialize beforet they're thrown into the public school system. There were kids there as young as 4, all the way up to 15. I have to admit, I'm not as good with little kids as I am with teenagers. I'm working on it though! I made some friends from Iraq and Nepal (and somewhere else that I can't remember). I wish I could take pictures with my new friends, but the Refugee Center doesn't want pictures to get in the wrong hands, which is understandable. Just take my word for it, they are stinking adorable! I talked with (or tried to talk with) the older girls a lot and one of them gave me a hug at the end of the day. I love them already! I'm only signed up for one day a week, but I think I might just show up on the other day too.
Another thought I've had this week- I am so lucky to have the opportunity to do the things I get to do. Most of my time is filled with non-paying gigs, like college, teaching at the DI, coaching (it pays, but I've never calculated my pay per hour... Man, that would be depressing!) and now I get to spend time with the cutest kids I've ever seen! Maybe someday (possibly soon) I will need to get a real job, but I just seem to be attracted to the jobs that don't come with a paycheck. Is that bad?
...Or maybe with our current president, I won't need a real job anyway! jajaja ;)
If I could, I would pay you a million dollars for all your charitable work. jajaja <-- HAHAH! love it! I cant believe you passed out at the pulpit, you're going to have to fill me in.
ReplyDeleteHi, Its me, Tonya. I was apparantly signed into my mothers google account when I commented just barely. I wrote it, not my momma, though she does send her love and well wishes :) jajaja
ReplyDelete;) Thanks Tonya! I would love a million dollars, but then I guess I couldn't say that I was "volunteering" anymore!
ReplyDeleteOkay... Here's the story. Sorry if it's long! About a year ago they asked me to give a talk in sacrament meeting. My mom & dad and Dennis' mom and sister were there to listen to me. About half way through my body was feeling all tingly and I felt dizzy and I couldn't read my talk anymore. I've passed out before (all 3 times I've tried to give blood) so I knew the warning signs and I knew I was going to pass out, but you can't just sit down in the middle of your talk! But I couldn't read anymore and everything was going fuzzy. I said that I felt sick to try and explain why I stopped reading, and I don't remember anything after that. Apparantly Dennis knew what was happening too because he told one of the counselors in the stand to catch me. I hit my head on the pulpit and the counselor set me down in the chair, and Dennis finished reading my talk... Definately my most embarrassing moment! EVER! When I finally returned to consciousness I just wanted to get off the stage. Everyone was staring. The next week at church I had all these cute old hispanic ladies asking me if I was pregnant. jajaja! Fun stuff.
Alea, it is so good to see what you are up to. I'm going to kill myself for not getting together with you since we live so close. Who knows when we'll ever live this close again! We're moving to Houston in two weeks! Does Rexburg send you this way? We just went to a Twin Falls temple session last week and I just realized that I should have called to get together! But it is good that you have the blog. Keep in touch.
ReplyDelete