Monday, March 1, 2010

Project #7- Hair Accessories

Hooray for hair bows and flowers! Here are just a few of the hair accessories I've put together. (Notice I added a bodice to the hairbow holder. I thought it looked too much like a hula skirt without it.)


Why did it look so much like a hula skirt? Well, it might have something to do with the fact that the majority of flowers came from one of these:




I'm pretty proud of myself for thinking of using a lei... I was racking my brain for the longest time trying to figure out an inexpensive way to make a bunch of different colors of flowers. I thought of using scrapbook flowers, but most of them are very small and super expensive! I also looked at fake flowers from the craft store and the dollar store, but you buy a bouquet and only get one color of flower (also expensive!) Then while looking through the party section of the dollar store for a plastic table cloth for New Beginnings (see previous post) I saw a bunch of lei's.... Why didn't I think of that before?!?

Here are a few things I've learned:

  • Take out all the stem and only use the petals, otherwise they get really bulky
  • Some of the petals would fray really easily so I'd heat seal the edges over a candle
  • Be sure to glue each petal down
  • I used actual hair clippies instead of alligator clips and you can use them in your hair, or on a headband! Plus they're much cheaper...
  • Only use glue on the fat end of the clip, otherwise they pop off

I made a liner for this basket and put all the crochet headbands in it. You can buy them on ebay for about 50 cents a pop.


So easy and so affordable!... And tons of fun!

2 comments:

  1. She is going to be lookin cute! I bet you're really starting to show now! I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good mommy! And so creative! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete